As a general rule, foreigners who are citizens of countries with a visa procedure for entering the territory of Ukraine may temporarily stay on the territory of Ukraine during the validity of the visa. Citizens of countries with visa-free entry into Ukraine may temporarily stay in Ukraine for no more than 90 days within 180 days, unless otherwise provided by international treaties of Ukraine.
However, the period of temporary stay on the territory of Ukraine may be extended for a period up to 3 years on the basis of obtaining a temporary residence permit for certain categories of foreigners arriving on the territory of Ukraine for the following purposes:
● employment;● participation in technical assistance projects, registered according to the established procedure;● preaching and delivering religious instruction, carrying out religious rituals or other canonical activity, upon invitation of religious organizations and in agreement with a public authority that performed registration of this religious organization;● participating in the activity of branches, divisions, representative offices and other structural units of civil society (non-governmental) organizations of foreign states, registered according to the established procedure;● employment at representative offices of foreign business entities in Ukraine, registered according to the established procedure;● carrying out cultural, scientific or educational activity on the basis and according to the procedure established by international agreements of Ukraine or special programmes, or for the purpose of participating in international and regional volunteer programmes or participating in the activity of organizations and institutions that engage volunteers;● working as a correspondent or representative of foreign mass media outlets;● foreigners who are the founder and/or participant and/or beneficiary owner (controller) of a legal entity registered in Ukraine;● study;● family reunification.
So, if you are interested in moving to Ukraine and the purpose of your trip corresponds to one of the above you can obtain a temporary residence permit. Let's consider the most popular grounds and steps for obtaining a temporary residence permit.
Obtaining of the work permit (This stage is mandatory only for the purpose of employment)
Foreigners can be employed in Ukraine only after obtaining an appropriate permit that is issued by State Employment Service of Ukraine. Work permit does not entitle a foreigner to reside in Ukraine, but is one of the basics to obtain residence permit in Ukraine.The work of foreigners may be used in different positions by one or more employers, provided that such a work permit is obtained for each position. So, one work permit allows work only in certain company on a certain position and there is no general work permit.Work permit in Ukraine can be issued for the period up to 3 years (the term depends on the basis on which the permit is obtained). Work permit may be renovated before it is expired unlimited number of times.
1. Preparation of the required package of DOCUMENTS, namely:
- filled in application form;- сopy of the passport of a foreign citizen with translation into Ukrainian language and notarization of it;- one colour photo 3.5 X 4.5;- a copy of the draft employment contract with the foreigner, signed by the employer;- documents confirming powers of the representative of the employer for application on the behalf of the of the employer (power of attorney);- depending on the nature of employment, additional document:for persons who are applying as graduates of top 100 universities – copies of documents confirming higher education of such candidate.
2. Submission of the relevant package of documents to the state authorities.3. Consideration of the documents and adoption of the decision on the issuing of work permit by the appropriate state authority.4. Payment by the employer administrative fee for issuing a work permit (within 10 business days of receiving the decision on the issuing of work permit) and the submission of a proof of payment (with a bank note).5. Conclusion of an employment contract with the foreigner (not later than 90 days after the date of issue of the work permit) and, within 10 days after the conclusion of the employment contract, provide state authorities with a copy of it signed by the employer.
Visa type D is a special multi-entry visa issued for 90 days that allows a foreigner to come to Ukraine and apply for temporary residence permit. Basically, visa type D is a mandatory pre-step of temporary residence permit application.So, in order o obtain temporary residence permit the foreigner should cross the border on the basis of visa type D.
However, there are some EXCEPTIONS: citizens of● Belarus● Armenia● Moldova● Georgia● Azerbaijan● Uzbekistan● Russia (are not obliged to obtain visa type D as pre-step of temporary residence permit application (based on international treaties between the counties).
They can omit this step, but such persons have the right to apply for temporary residence permit without leaving Ukraine (exceptions are Russian citizens) — no later than 30 days from the date of the last entry into Ukraine and — no later than 15 business days before the end of the established period of stay in Ukraine.In order to obtain visa type D, the foreigner must complete an online application form (https://visa.mfa.gov.ua) and at the certain time personally apply for visa at the Ukrainian embassy.
● Passport (which must reply to the following requirements):— be valid not less than 3 months after the declared date of departure from the territory of Ukraine;— contain at least two free pages;— validity period should be no longer than 10 years.
● Filled in the visa application form ;
● One photo 3.5 X 4.5 in colour ;
● A valid medical insurance policy with min. coverage of EUR 30,000 ;
● Documents confirming the possibility of obtaining sufficient financial support in a lawful manner in the territory of Ukraine ;
● Document confirming the payment of the consular fee ;
● Document confirming the purpose of trip (for example, for the employment employer's petition and a certified copy of work permit);
● Additional documents may be required by the Ukrainian embassy.Сonsular fee depends on country of citizenship of a foreigner.
Obtaining temporary residence permit
To apply for temporary resident permit foreigner must be physically present in the Ukraine (and cross the border on the basis of visa type D, if applicable), as his fingerprints are collected and photo are taken on the day of application.Application for temporary resident permit cannot be supplied later than 15 business days before visa type D expiry.STATE FEE for the issuance of temporary residence permitAbout UAH 2000 ≈ USD 70.
● Preparation of the required package of DOCUMENTS, namely:— passport of a foreign citizen with visa D (except in cases stated by law).— certified translation of foreigner’s passport into Ukrainian containing personal details and visa D;— a valid medical insurance policy;— document confirming payment of the administrative fee;— documents confirming grounds for issuing of temporary residence permit (for example, if the permit is issued on the basis of foreigner's employment, it is necessary to submit the employer's petition and work permit);
● Submission of the relevant package of documents for obtaining temporary residence permit to the state authorities (not later than 15 working days before the expiration of the established period of stay in Ukraine).
● Once the application is approved, obtaining the temporary residence permit within 15 business days after the documents were submitted personally upon presentation of the passport.Temporary residence permit can be issued up to 3 years (the term depends on the basis on which the permit is obtained) with the possibility of renovation an unlimited number of times
Registration of the place of foreigner’s residence in UkraineOnce the temporary residence permit has been obtained, the next step is to register the residential address. Foreigners are obliged to register the residential address within 30 calendar days from the date of receipt of the temporary residence permit.
● filled in application form;● temporary residence permit;● document confirming payment of the administrative fee; the identity document of the owner of the apartment (registration of the place of residence is carried out on the basis of a certificate of ownership of the apartment/with the consent of the owner (owners) of the apartment in the personal presence/ with the notarized consent /on the basis of a notarized power of attorney from the owner to the representative);● notarized power of attorney from foreigner to representative (if necessary).
Registration as private entrepreneur in Ukraine(NOTE! This step is not mandatory, you should follow it, only if you want to work in Ukraine as private entrepreneur)
A foreigner who has received a temporary residence permit may also carry out business activities on the territory of Ukraine, provided that he is registered as private entrepreneur.Registration may be carried out in the personal presence of a foreigner or an authorized person on the basis of a power of attorney, without the personal presence of a foreigner.
1. Obtaining an identification (tax) code (if not received yet). Issued by the State Tax Service within 5 business days.2. Defining the types of economic activities that will be carried out by a foreigner as private entrepreneur.3. Submission of the required documents to the state registrar:● filled in application form for registration of a person as private entrepreneur;● temporary residence permit;● certificate of registration of place of residence;● сopy of passport with translation into Ukrainian language and notarization of it;● identification (tax) code;● power of attorney certifying the authority of the representative (if applicable).
So, after compliance with all the above steps you can legally stay in Ukraine.
Enjoy your staying in Ukraine!